Tuesday 15 June 2010

Finding the 9th Station





I got lost today - the first time was wandering from Mike's into the Old City when I deliberately chose a different path from the advised one. It led me out to Ghenna (NT metaphor for Hell) nowadays referred to slightly more politely as Ben Hinnom.

I finally arrived at the Dung Gate which leads straight into the Western Wall (don't call it Wailing). Here I said a prayer, wasn't scammed by someone offering to pray for me (as per 2009 pilgrimage), so Praise the Lord! I was quite pleased with this photo - it shows the Western Wall but also the flag of Israel and the wooden pathway up to the El Aqsa mosque and if you have eyes to see it, there's a dove flying.

After that I got lost again in the Soukh and walked past a sign for the Arab Catholic Scouts. So I took a photo of it. A woman I saw shouted to me yessomessa So I said Nyet Spacibo (quickly faking a russian accent and saying No presuming she was trying to sell me something). Only later I realise that she's a beggar and she is saying Jesus Messiah - she's twigged I'm a Christian. Perhaps its the lack of religious ware that gives it away this time.

One local lad insisted on taking me but then ran off in the wrong direction (I knew that much). Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find Station 9 on the Via Dolorosa which is the last bit before you go into the Holy Sepulchre but it takes you in a sort of back door. And here it is!

2 comments:

  1. only you can get lost twice in a day,would you like my satnav lol,oh and even I can see the Dove,and why not "Wailing" wall?I thought that was what it was called,have a good day tomorrow with love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wailing comes from a day in the year when they read Lamentations (depressing) and get really depressed about how things are not how they once were. It doesn't lead to violence etc only to breast beating and mea culpa stuff. And so this is when they do wail. but mostly its a jolly place.

    ReplyDelete