Saturday 19 June 2010

Elijah's Cave



Alessia (fluent in Arabic, an Italian) and Derek (fluent in Albanian, from Seattle) took me for a bob in the Dead Sea. (It was her (Alessia's) birthday party last night, we talked football - a dutch woman told me how they like chanting "Give us back our bicycles" at the Germans)

In Jericho we found The Sycamore tree that Zacchaeus climbed. I thought Zacchaeus was supposed to be a little man, the lowest branches here are pretty high, but then the tree has grown in last 2,000 years. I don't know about trees but I'm not sure this one is that old.

A long steep walk down into a Wadi and then a long climb up and up to St George's Khoziba Monastery where they asked me to pull my hobbit trousers down a bit more (they already covered the knee). At the top here is laid out the body of a monk who is incorrupted. That is to say that apart from being dead these last 400 odd years, he looks quite good for it. Above this chapel is Elijah's Cave where he was fed by Ravens (and why not here, I say!). An american group of Greek Orthodox burst into singing a Psalm with extemporary harmonising. Key spiritual moment of the day.

Its been 41degC down here so we went for a cold swim at Fawar and then to Ramallah. I'd been expecting this place to be mostly full of bulldozers levelling houses but its a fabulous place, vibrant and full of culture and fun. I daresay its got more than its fair share of problems but the people are kind and helpful.

1 comment:

  1. If your not sure how old this tree is why don't you cut it down and count the rings!!!ok please don't we want you home, it would be a laugh lol,well you very relaxed in the water,it's great that you have found kind and helpful people,take care,xx

    ReplyDelete