Sunday 27 June 2010

Arabic Congregation

I have no idea what anyone is saying, its all in Arabic, they ran out of headsets, the projector laptop is playing up and they only project in Arabic anyway. But its bouncy and full of fun and they're praising the Lord so loudly I feel a tingle in my bones.
The minister here plays the Double Keyboard (top layer is guitar sound, next layer: a keyboard). The man with the djembe can't compete with the electric drum kit but he has a good go. I try la-le-la and then seeing if "Jesus" and "praise him" would scan, at last we sing a song whose English words I know so I belt that out till I'm hoarse.

I'm pulled into a circle of chairs so that I can put my head close to a translator, her earings are mini CDs. A woman gives her testimony about how she was a Sunni Muslim who was taught the Koran but decided she didn't like that god. She went on to study Islamic law and met some Christians at University. She says she didn't like the way she was only ever half a man in the eyes of her god.

The sermon, a meagre 40mins. The Preacher says in God's eyes, through Jesus, we're all equal. He says The Good Church isn't about buildings but people. A shocking thing to say in Jerusalem with its ancient heritage! And how we mustn't have infighting and we're all brothers and sisters, we are all the Eleven (which you might think is a football reference but actually refers to the Eleven apostles). He's not remotely nationalistic or political, Jesus' kingdom wasn't about conquering but about mercy and forgiveness. Amen to that.

2 comments:

  1. Donald has started singing the German national anthem. Says he is simply 'relieved'. My foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James so good to know you are in fine voice,I have taken over your garage,my house has very little in it now,and the Bed is now in the sitting room so I can lay in bed and watch TV.looking forwaed to you next in storment.Take Care with Love xx

    ReplyDelete