Tuesday 29 June 2010

Yad Vashem

A friend of Mike's chauffered me. A policeman pulled us over (we had inadvertantly driven down a Taxi-only lane). He saw my silly-tourist look and waves us on. At last its paid off looking silly!

This a museum in part to the six million Jews who were murdered in the holocaust. But it also celebrates the strength of character - not just Look how we died but also Look how we survived. Its not very photogenic here, all a bit disturbing, here a person holds a child and screams heavenwards.

At first I lose my faith in God - how can God let this happen, its just inexpressably appalling. Then I lose my faith in humanity - how can people let this happen. And then I wonder if I'd been a Jew, at what point would I have tried to get out. Or if I was growing up with those prejudices, would I have shopped my jewish neighbour? And then you have to say hopeful brave things to yourself about how you'd have done something. And then you have to wonder who is getting away with legalised injustice today? And what will I say?

Having been pushed around from before the war and during the war and afterwards too, you can see why they are so touchy about Security and the Land here. It means everything to them.

Sorry I didn't write down who said it but there's a poignant quote here: "I know when I stand before God on Judgement Day I shall not be asked the question posed to Cain: Where were you when your brother's blood was crying out to me?"

1 comment:

  1. Imre Bathory, a Hungarian who put his own life at grave risk by helping to save Jews from the concentration camps

    ReplyDelete