Thursday 1 July 2010

Aceldama


I've tried getting into this monastery twice already. Aceldama means 'field of blood'. It is allegedly here that Judas hung himself. I wanted to come here and think about sin and confess and pray and read my bible. But this is my 3rd attempt and its locked, it should be open but its locked. I buzz the buzzer. And then I buzz again, only longer. And then one more time, a really long buzz followed by five short buzzes and another long buzz. And then I start buzzing all over again. This goes on for maybe 10 minutes.

At last a grumpy babushka appears. "Please can I come in". Begrudingly she lets me into the chapel, a cave, dedicated to St Onuphrius. My guide book says he was a hermit famous for the length of his beard which was his only garment!

There's no where to sit and its too dark to read and I'm not able to feel remorse for my sins because I'm mildly euphoric for having finally got in. I shall have to meditate on my sins later, I'm too full of thanksgiving.

The babushka guards the garden (see photo). "Quickly, I have things to do" she waves me to go further down across the top of the quarry to some small caves. Finally I reach them. Only now do I remember, these aren't caves, they're tombs.

If it was ever a Potter's Field (jeremiah), its been a burial site since 900ad when they used to bury Pilgrims here. I leave as swiftly as I can, heaping blessings on the babushka as she shoos me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment