Tuesday 6 July 2010

Sunrise

What do you do if you've already seen something marvellous before 6am? Does it make the rest of the day seem a bit down or does it mean you can relax and not worry about achieving so much? or what?

I went to the Wohl museum where grumpy officious men guard ruins that really posh religious sanhedrin (boo) types lived in. Quite likely this is where Jesus came when he was arrested and Peter too, before the cock crowed.

You're not allowed to take photos here. One of them even followed me about for a bit. Fortunately I took lots of pics last time I was here.

The interesting thing isn't the mosaics or the mikvots its the model and you begin to realise (a) how very corrupt these religious types must have been to have had this much cash and no wonder they weren't keen on Jesus for suggesting a review of their expense claims and (b) how very brave Peter was to get that far inside the house (the courtyard you see, in a Roman-style house would be in the middle, like a quad).

I wanted to join the monks at St James' Cathedral for 3pm vespers and then do the same at St Mark's at 4pm but alas they were both shut. Ho hum. This is not where I'm supposed to be today.

So I went to visit the Loo in Christ Church and bumped into Marie, who I met in 2007 on a Pilgrimage Tour. She seemed really chuffed that I remembered her name.

She remembered me from the Purim party - a sort of pantomime enactment of the story of Esther. Perhaps today is a day to be a blessing and there's at least half a blessing for me in that.

By popular request here's a close up of The Beard. Maybe tomorrow I'll let you see the other side.

4 comments:

  1. A prophetworthy beard, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bruv Jams,
    The beard really suits you! We hope you are well and in good spirits. I intentionally have not bothered you so that you can really have a break from life here. We enjoyed having your little family for a braai last Sunday. Lucy is very excited about her trip.Best w to Mike B.
    Keep out of trouble. Best w Andy and Family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James- we are now back from our caravan roaming and finally able to read your very exciting blog and indeed see your wonderful beard! Is this your first? Your way of writing is very amusing - a book coming on perhaps? Glad you are having a good time - and that Lucy has a great week too. look forward to hearing the rest of it all as you continue!

    love Ros & John x

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and Last Beard I suspect

    ReplyDelete